Qi’Nergy Prenatal Care
Qi’Nergy Prenatal Care
What is Qi’Nergy Prenatal Care
Qi’Nergy Prenatal Care by Singapore Paincare TCM Wellness is a customised treatment programme to help alleviate pregnancy symptoms and prepare for childbirth.
In TCM, the pregnant mother and the foetus are managed as one. Poor health during pregnancy is treated and improved in the same way as non-pregnant women. In Singapore Paincare Wellness, we manage pregnancy-related symptoms by stabilising the Yin-Yang balance and strengthening the Qi and blood flow and physiological functions of the spleen by using acupuncture, tuina, and/or TCM herbs.
TCM is a safe and natural way to strengthen the body for pregnancy without the use of Western medicine. When used in complementary with Western medicine, TCM promotes overall wellness for a healthy pregnancy and smooth delivery.
What are some of the common prenatal symptoms that expectant mother experience?
TCM views Qi deficiency and dampness in organs as the main causes of prenatal symptoms. In Western medicine, hormonal fluctuations during pregnancy can cause numerous symptoms listed below:
1. Swelling and bloating-During pregnancy, the Qi is diverted towards strengthening the placenta and nourishing the foetus. Overtime, spleen Qi deficiency causes blockages and obstruction of the “water channels” （水道不利）in the body. This could lead to dampness that manifests as swelling and bloating.
2. Back pain and leg cramps-By the second or third trimester, the pressure of the foetus on the blood vessels may decrease blood circulation to the legs, causing leg cramps. Disruption to the flow of Qi and blood along the lower back meridians can lead to blood stasis, creating back pain. This is intensified when the foetus grows as the center of gravity will shift, causing mothers to arch their backs to maintain balance.
3. Mood swings-In TCM, emotions and organs are interconnected. Qi deficiency in each organ is linked to a specific emotion:
- Liver: Irritability and frustration, which can translate to physical symptoms like headaches or dizziness
- Spleen: Excessive worry or fixation, which can lead to a loss of appetite
- Kidney: Fear and anxiety, resulting in urinary incontinence and night sweats
4. Fatigue & nausea-The huge demand of Qi and blood in the liver to develop your placenta means that there is less Qi flow to the head, resulting in fatigue, weakness, and dizziness. As you enter the second and third trimester, more Qi is diverted to your spleen and stomach to fully develop the foetus. Hence, you might feel more tired even with minimal activity. Insufficient rest can manifest into a fever.
Prenatal TCM Treatment Methods
Acupuncture involves stimulating specific acupoints on the body using thin needles. This helps to regulate the Qi flow, restoring our bodies’ natural healing abilities:
- Stimulate blood flow and the release of endorphins to relieve back pain and leg cramps
- Stimulate nerve cells to release endorphins (feel-good hormones), improving mood.
- Harmonise the 冲脉 to alleviate nausea
- Increase blood flow to the womb to nourish the foetus and body with nutrients
- Strengthens ovary health to produce more hormones to maintain a healthy pregnancy
- Increases your immune cells count, lowering the risk of sickness during pregnancy
Qi’Nergy Prenatal Tuina
Unlike using needles in acupuncture, tuina involves placing pressure on acupoints. This helps to:
- Relax the muscles and increase pelvic flexibility for a smoother childbirth
- Improve lymphatic circulation to remove excess fluids and reduce swelling
- Improve blood circulation, relieving leg cramps and back pain
Herb Prescription (Optional)
Herbs may be prescribed by our physician to complement TCM treatments for improved efficacy. Our herbs replenish and nourish the Qi and blood in the body for a healthier and safer pregnancy. Our herbs can be easily consumed without the need for cooking as they are in a powdered concentrate, capsule, tablet, or pill form.
Our Prenatal TCM Treatment Plan
Our Treatment Steps
TCM Physician Consultation
A thorough consultation with the physician will be carried out to assess your health conditions and body constitution to devise a targeted treatment plan to address your prenatal symptoms.
Customised Prenatal Treatment
Our therapist will administer a customised treatment session, which may include acupuncture and Qi’Nergy Prenatal Tuina. Specific traditional Chinese medicine may be prescribed based on your body constitution.
Herbal medication may be prescribed by the physician to promote healthy baby growth and smooth delivery.
Why Choose Singapore Paincare TCM Wellness?
Singapore Paincare TCM Wellness integrates an east-west approach to our treatments for better outcomes. Our physicians and therapists undergo trainings in Singapore Paincare Academy (administered by Singapore Paincare medical group) to gain understanding of clinical conditions so that together with their TCM expertise, they are able to help patients get better.
How is Qi’Nergy Prenatal Tuina different from other prenatal massages?
Unlike at-home massages like rubbing your hands and feet that only provide short-term pain relief, our Qi’Nergy Prenatal Tuina targets the root issue of Qi deficiency to relieve your symptoms for a longer period of time. In addition, our TCM treatment helps strengthen your body and immunity for a smoother childbirth.
Is it safe for pregnant women to undergo Qi’Nergy Prenatal Care programme?
Acupuncture and tuina are generally safe for most pregnant women who are 13 weeks to 35 weeks into their pregnancy. Our therapists are trained to use the proper techniques and avoid inappropriate acupoints.
However, it is important for women with high-risk pregnancies to seek advice from their doctor prior to the treatment. You should not go for the treatment if you experience any of the following symptoms: abnormal vaginal bleeding, heart disease, hypertension, hypotension, diabetes, epilepsy, pregnancy toxemia etc.
How long does it take before I can see results from Qi’Nergy Prenatal Care programme? How often should I go for the treatment?
You can expect to experience a feeling of relief and relaxation after each treatment. Women with larger babies tend to have more discomfort. The general recommendation is to go for Qi’Nergy Prenatal Care programme at least once a fortnight.
Is our prenatal treatment safe for the baby?
When performing prenatal tuina, our therapists will apply lighter pressure to prevent any harm on the baby. You will only need to lie on your back or side to prevent unnecessary pressure on your baby bump. As for acupuncture, our physicians are well-trained to avoid acupuncture points that may be harmful for pregnancy, only focusing on acupoints that can boost your Qi flow to nourish your body and your baby.
Is acupuncture painful?
As the needles used are hair-thin, most patients feel minimal to no pain or discomfort. Some individuals may feel soreness at the points where needles are inserted.